Copy and Paste Text
While many people familiar with computers will see copying and pasting as common knowledge and a basic thing to know, there are those who do not know how to do this simple task. Because this is such a vital action to perform on your computer, we have given step-by-step instructions to show you HOW.
1. Move your mouse cursor to the beginning letter of the text you want to copy.
2. Click the left mouse button just before the first letter of text you want to copy and hold it down. Then with the mouse button still held down, drag the mouse cursor over all the text you want to copy. This will highlight the text.
3. Now that the text is selected, you can let the mouse button go. (This action in step 1 to 3 is referred to as 'selecting text' - now onto copying it...)
4. Making sure the text is still selected or highlighted, on your keyboard press the control key (Ctrl) and hold it down.
5. With the Ctrl key still held down, press the 'C' letter key on your keyboard.
6. Let both keys go. You have just copied your text to what is know as your computer's 'clipboard'. Now onto pasting...
7. Go to the email, document or web page you would like to paste into.
8. Click on the exact spot you want to put the text on, so you can see the mouse cursor flashing.
9. Now on your keyboard press the control key (Ctrl) and hold it down.
10. With the Ctrl key still held down, press the 'V' letter key on your keyboard.
11. Voila! The text you copied appears!
Well done, you have just learnt how to copy and paste text! As you practice these steps, you'll be copy and pasting with lightning speed in no time! (Another interesting tip... You can follow these same steps to copy and paste images as well).